Fears Wiles may never play again – Barrow AFC boss Bayliss
Last updated at 14:02, Monday, 27 September 2010
DAVE Bayliss fears that injured Barrow AFC winger Simon Wiles may never play again.
The Preston-based 25-year-old underwent a scan on his left knee on Friday after injuring it in an innocuous incident against Altrincham in midweek.
Speaking after Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at Hayes and Yeading, AFC joint-boss Dave Bayliss said: “Wilsey went for his scan and it’s not good.
“He’s going to be out for between nine and 12 months. It’s an horrific injury for the lad.
“He’s suffered posterior and anterior cruciate ligament damage, it’s everything gone in his knee, his cartilage also.
“It’s a big ask for the lad to even come back and play, if I’m totally honest.
“We thought, at best, it might be a six-month job, but after what the scan showed it’s going to be between nine and 12 months. If he gets back from that, he’s done ever so well.”
Former Blackpool and Dunfermline Athletic wideman Wiles, who has had serious injury problems with his right knee in the past, joined Barrow last season and was part of the side that won the FA Trophy final at Wembley in May.
He signed a one-year contract in the summer and was just beginning to rediscover his best form before the injury.
Many AFC supporters posting messages on the club’s unofficial website hope the club will hold a bucket collection for Wiles at a future home game.
First published at 13:09, Monday, 27 September 2010
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Broughton news
- A595 Cumbria reopens after fatal crash
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- Cumbria parents raise £2,000 in thanks to medics who saved their son (1 comment)
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Brave Cumbria girl Katie up for Evening Mail award
- Millom School pays tribute to teenager who died after shooting
- Chainsaw theft from Cumbria shed
- Arabian adventure awaits for graduate from Cumbria
- Broughton beer festival to take place this weekend
- Millom and Broughton Agricultural Show
- Four cautioned for illegal fox hunting
- Power cuts hit Broughton
- Broughton rocker's brush with Jagger girl Georgia
- Cumbria Cold War hero is flying the flag for armed forces
- Cumbria firefighters leave scene of barn fire after bringing blaze under control
- Police crackdown on Broughton early morning speeding
- Cumbria dog survives leap from speeding train
- Families enjoy Broughton outdoor activities fun
- Cumbria County Council election
- All the fun of the fare for food lovers in Broughton
- Homes flooded across Cumbria as snow melts
- Broughton bakery tops poll to find best in Furness
- Successful Broughton Cumberland sausage record bid to air on TV
- BAE Systems Barrow boss welcomes deal to build seven Astute subs
- Broughton bakers rise to challenge of national TV competition
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
- Gang attacked footballer
- Multiple car accident on A590
- Championship clubs on trail of Barrow AFC man Bond
- Cumbrian clubs set to go again after winter wipe-out
- Barrow AFC game called off due to snow
- Barrow internet firm tribunal (1 comment)
- Chester is the fastest
- Ebay fraud: sentencing welcomed
- On top of the world? Far from it, I’m afraid
- Cumbrian health on call service blasted
- A595 Cumbria reopens after fatal crash
- Not nice or helpful (5 comments)
- Champs Furness lay down the Law
- Walney vandal gangs - report (20 comments)
- Pencil shaving...the perfect rainy day activity
- No title
- Furness Academy students praised (1 comment)
- Sticking to the story
- Barrow RL’s great Britons (1 comment)
- The Barrow RL foreign legion (1 comment)